Thursday, July 27, 2006

Scare


Had a scare on Tuesday when gynae's nurse called to ask to go down to clinic on the day itself before 11am due to the results of my blood test..

Usually, they only do this when there's something wrong. Otherwise, doctor will present your result during your next visit. At the same time, received another call from Shuoze's teacher saying Shuoze has fallen ill and it's better to get him from school asap.

As all wives do, they call their husbands to inform the situation.

For my age group, the risk of my baby having down syndrome is 1 in 1320 but for me, it was 1 in 257. Scary isn't it? Of course, that was only the calculation. I could be oone of the 256 moms who will have a normal baby or the 1 mom who will have a down syndrome baby.

What choice do i have?

Do further test of course to get 100% confirmation on whether baby's down syndrome or not. Went through a test called amniocentesis where my gynae uses a very long needle to jab through my stomach to get to my womb to get the water where the baby is residing.

The risk of having miscarriage for doing this test is 1 in 200. But hb and i knew we gotta take the chance.

The procedure was really scary! Blood test was already bad enough for me and this, simply too much to bear. I closed my eyes most of the time, chanting my prayers. Every second in the room passes like every hour. It was that bad.


After the test, i had to go through another detailed scan. In total, 2 hours was spent at the hospital and total cost?

$1200.

Having babies are very expensive and tough!

After the test, i was told to rest for 2 days, do not carry heavy things and if possible, rest on the bed always the avoid miscarriage. There were some cramps and soreness at the tummy area during the 1st day but thankfully, on my second day, i was back to normal again.

And today, gynae called me personally to let me the result which we opted to go for, a super fast test call PCR where they zoomed in into certain chromosomes but of course with additional cost on top of the compulsory test which will take us 3 weeks to know the result.

The result?

NEGATIVE!

Yes! Baby is normal afterall.. :)

Seriously, this pregnancy is really a rough one and i do hope to see some sunshine after this.. No more suffering for me please.

No comments: