Friday, September 21, 2007

Feasting


One thing that i really look forward to whenever i go back KL is the food.

First, it's my mom's cooking. Then it's the hawker's fare. Last but not least, the yummy sambal that my mom makes :)

When we went back 2 weeks ago, mom requested for some home made cakes from me. I managed to do financiers and lime cream cheese pound cake with mango bits before sending my machine for service. That explains my lapse of food post yeah? :P

Lime cream cheese pound cake with mango bits.

As much as i would love to rave for this cake, i couldn't. Don't get me wrong.. i love the taste but unfortunately, not the texture. It was rather dry. Almost couldn't swallow without having a gulp of water kinda dry. Heh. Pretty bad isn't it?

Nevermind... at least, it's not the taste. Grin. I could always add an extra cup of milk or something the next time round, which is what i will do exactly.. if.. i do bake it again :P


Lime cream cheese pound cake with mango bits

On the day we reached, the mother cooked up quite a bit. There were plenty of yummy dishes but my favourite is the stir fry 'wild jungle vegetables' with sambal.

It was mind blowing i tell ya!

Wild jungle vegetables with sambal is the one of the right


Why such funny name one wonders?

Actually, no one knows the name to this vegetable. It is unknown. According to my mom and my helper [yep, the helped had it before too in her kampong], it usually gets picked in the jungle on the ground. It grows wildly on its own.

At the helper's kampong, whenever they wanna eat it, all they need to do is to go to the jungle's floor and pick. Helper called it 'pakis' in Malay. And i am wondering if it's the same as the paku pakis plant that grows wildly in the jungle..

Cute yeah? And it's very affordable too! Only costs my mom RM2 for the whole bunch :)

Then, there is chee cheong fun, the Malaysian version. My absolutely must-eat whenever i go back, apart from my mother's lao shu fen. Luckily the mother knows me well. She will buy them automatically without having me to ask her to, knowing my love for them. Hehe.



The mother buys them raw. Then cooked it herself. More economical and definitely yummier!

Besides the jungle vegetable, i saw something else that is also 'quite cute' too. We've never seen anything like it before.

Check this out!



What do you think it is?

Is it asian's brinjal? Or is it ang moh's egg plant?

Nope. It's not!

It is chili padi!

Yep, it's chili padi in purple! So pretty isn't it?!

Taste wise, i dare not try. Heh. The chili lovers parents warned that it is extremely spicy but fragrant. Hence no trying for me. Not gung-ho enough ah! ^.^

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweetie, all these food postings makes me think of your chicken curry! i haven't had it yet but it's causing me sleepless nights! :ppp

dear, if u're paisei to ask me to help you get the cook books, i forward you the link for 25% off, just print and pop down to borders :)

^cherie said...

Haha.. no lah. Think the curry is overated! :P

Thanks for the link but i'm definitely not paiseh okay.. more like old and forgot!

Richard said...

Those purple chilies look awesome. I don't think I have ever seen them that colour.

^cherie said...

They are! So cute and 'dainty'.. Heh.