Monday, April 02, 2007

I wrote..


6. I was a straight A's student but not a degree holder

for my previous entry on Weirdometer.

Before u start thinking that i'm an intelligent or a knowlegable person, please.. read on. But this entry will not only let you in on that, but also 2 other personal 'me' topic. So, yes.. it'll be a long one. Grin.

I have stopped studying for a very long time, since beginning of 1999. From then on, i hardly touch any book at all, except for romantic or chic novels from time to time, say.. less than 5 times a year? (as a mother of 3 who also bake and cook plus surfing the net, how to?) :P

From the time i'd finished my first year in 1999 till today, I have also not worked at all. So literally, i have stopped using my brain for quite sometime already. Life as a stay-at-home-mom doesn't require me to. I bet if u were to dissect me at this very moment now, u'll see my very mouldy brain. I have stopped using them for a very long time, so long that i have grown so used to not using them that i have became very lazy to even use them! Lol. Serious. Not joking ok.. These days, if u were to give me a a sum to do in the head, i'll say er, pass me the calculator please. Or if u were to ask me to do some puzzles or riddles that need me to think, i'll say, aiyah.. don't want! I have, indeed.. grown to be that lazy!


Slowly, i became what i am today. No longer the straight A's student material definitely. Lol. Pretty enjoyable i'd say. The plus plus point is definitely not needing to live up to others' expectations whenever questions are being shoot to you. Now, i'll just give the i-don't-know look and act blur :P

Since i'm on this, i might as well reveal a little more on myself, on the subject of my very powderful engrish.

I am a real kampong girl.

I grew up in this very small town in Pahang, Malaysia. A town where English does not exist, almost. My family moved to KL when i was 9. I didn't speak a word of English then and very reluctant to do so as well after that because the other kids in school spoke excellent English. I was afraid i might be laughed at. Hence, i only hang out with the Chinese girls. That was also a problem at first because i speak no Cantonese. I still remember we actually communicate using Bahasa! I only knew bahasa and Mandarin and they, bahasa english and cantonese. So, bahasa it was. Hah!

I managed to siam speaking English all the way till i was 13, that's when i started Sec 1. I had absolutely no choice then. The friends i know in class can only speak English. It was very bad when i first started but i took it with a pinch of salt, laughing together with them when i made a boo boo. Wanna know how bad my English was? :P

You know how when we used to get picked in class to read a story out loud? I actually pronounced 'unique' as u-ni-q! The whole class burst out laughing upon hearing me. Even the English teacher couldn't hide her amusement. Grin. My face was red as a beetroot within seconds. I was 14 then.

After 1999, i didn't have much chance to improve my English any further since i have stopped studying and was neither working. I don't speak English at home as well. So, my Engrish is as good as any Primary 6 student here.

Imagine my 'headache' when i first penning my thoughts, my life here. Nightmare! Lol.

Now you know why sometimes, (a lot of times more like it actually, hehe) my sentence sounds weird or not right, or my spelling was misspelt, or my words/phrases used incorrectly or i have lousy grammer :P

Hubby told me, well.. at least i'm providing a little bit of entertainment here, something for you to laugh at *shake fists* :P


On the topic of husband, you know.. the mean husband loves to tease me mercilessly whenever i try using a new cheem word. Ugh. Or when i mispronounce an unfamiliar new word, he'll go 'ngek ngek ngek' - immitate my pronounciation - then 'ngek ngek ngek' - grin evilly. Ought to be whacked right?

Now now.. anyone wanna get me a thesaurus for my birthday? Heh. Kidding! I seriously do not want that okay? Don't even think about it! :)

4 comments:

imp said...

your grammar is fine lah!! at least i don't puke reading ur posts! if like that, that means ur written is very powderful indeed. never mind abt spoken. u're probably more at ease with mandarin! which also gets u around in sgp!

^cherie said...

Hehe.. know what?

I cant read or write Chinese! *hide*

Anonymous said...

i just popped by! there is nothing wrong with your english. this is your blog and you should write as you damn well like.

there are people with phd in english/literature who use singlish and slang on msn.

i, for one, prefer to read your blog as i would hear it from you. it would be odd reading your blog if it's written in perfect english! urgh! imagine a charles dickens or shakespeare blog!

^cherie said...

Lol.. Shakespeare?? Charles Dickens? :P