Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hb's special birthday cake


I have quite many overdue posts that i have yet to post and this is one of them :P

Hb's birthday cake which i baked a day after beep beep boop's birthday.

I actually brainstormed quite a bit to make something special for the husband. As the hb likes chocolate cake a lot and he loves my chocolate truffle cake, i decided to do a little adaption to the truffle cake.

This is what i came up with :)



I also made the chocolate '#' myself!

Not too bad aye?

Because i didn't have the normal chocolate that is meant for chocolate moulding/shaping, i used my ValRhona 55% chocolate to do it. Yes, it is possible b.u.t it will melt very quickly in our tropical weather.

Right after i took an exact 4 shots, the # started to bend foward. Heh. Good for me though, coz it went straight into my mouth there and then :P



What i did to the truffle cake :

. add a layer of feuilletine on top of the bottom sponge for the added crunch
. add whole roasted hazelnuts in between the 2 sponges in the chocolate truffle layer
. last but not least, lots of roasted almond bits to my top chocolate truffle layer


Sliced [psstt : i made the diamond shape chocolate myself too! ;)]


Side view. See the whole hazelnut at the bottom? *drool*:P~

Up close : fr bottom - chocolate sponge, feuilletine layer, chocolate truffle with hazelnuts, chocolate sponge again, chocolate truffle with almond bits.

Guess you can tell i'm a total nuts freak by now aye? :P

So how do we like the cake?

Let's just say.. i didn't even wanna share it with my in laws! Heeee.. we had the whole cake ourselves, 3 adults + 2 children but consumed mostly by adults. Very greedy me >.<

Edited to add : 2 tbsp of rum were added to the chocolate truffle too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg la looks so yummy! im also nuts bout nuts! lol. aiyo sherie can u pls leave a slice for me that next time u make this cake? hahahahaa i'll buy it over! *drools*
xoxo
sushi

Anonymous said...

wowwww. i love this. i like reading your blog and would love it if you could share this recipeeee!! :(

^cherie said...

sushi : give u free lah! ;)

melanie chan : thanks. Sure, will put up the recipe asap :D