Saturday, April 01, 2006

Orange peel cake


After seeing so many droolicious photo, i couldn't help but to bake one to satisfy my
need. Lol.

My very first choice was to bake a moist chocolate cake. Just when i was gonna cream the butter with sugar, my helper informed me that the cocoa powder was spoilt *bah*.

Next up was walnut coffeecake from Cafe of the East blog. Thought i would have all the ingredients but alas, i didn't. Was short of sour cream. So in the end, i chosed to bake something which i have the ingredients of but not something i was craving for. My choice was orange peel cake.


Was supposed to do an apricot glaze on top to make it more attractive but lazy me, skipped it altogether

Leftover from my 10 minutes piggin'out session while watching Pride & Prejudice


I thought it would be similiar to what i baked previously, orange butter cake but i was wrong. The texture for this orange peel cake is very soft, light, moist and spongey, very unlike butter cake which is also moist but more dense and heavy.

Thus, this would fall under 'sponge' cake category? Funnily, it is categorised as butter cake in the cookbook. Hmmm..

Ingredients for both cakes are very similiar but the techniques are not. I supposed it [the difference in texture for both cakes] has a lot to do with whisking the egg white and sugar which normal butter cakes don't call for.

Nevertheless, even though i wasn't craving for it, but after i took my first bite, i couldn't stop but to eat almost half the cake within 10 minutes, as shown in the photo! No joke girls. It was that good. Simply fabuloso. Will definitely bake this again very soon :>

2 comments:

celest said...

your blog never lacks pictures of yummy food, cakes, cookies etc. to drool over! i suspect with your newfound food forum, we'll be expecting MORE yummy pictures. gosh.. wish i could take a BIG bite off those cakes right now! :9

^cherie said...

Lol. U bet! Definitely more pictures on the way ;)

Feel free to come my place for the 'big bite' anytime :)