Saturday, March 11, 2006

Stop!


Just done with baking this for my beloved turning-4-years-old-tomorrow son :D



The cake

Top view

Side view

Very-giggly-baby-upon-seeing-my-piece-of-art


I know! It's not a perfect-looking cake at all. So many faults/flaws which you can pin point out. *sobs*.

It was so stressful! Really. Especially that i've already announced to the family (my in-laws basically) that i would be baking the birthday cake instead of buying it. So the expectation is there and i have to make it presentable and edible at the same time. Plus, my parents-in-law are real fussy potsssss when it comes to cakes [food] or rather, the whole of my in law family + my hb are! *sweat*

The last time which was also happened to be my first time baking a sponge cake with fresh cream as deco was 1.5 years ago. Turned out alright but definitely not for guests to see. Lol. That was the only reason why i turned down the request of baking one for Carolyn's birthday last month. My cakes are nowhere near presentable at all! *hide*

But then again, it's only my second attempt! Please have mercy..

About the cake, it's chocolate genoise sponge cake with fresh cream and val rhona chocolate shavings for filling. As for the decoration, (if you cant tell) it's supposed to be a happy face cake :P

What tickles me is my baby's reaction when he saw the cake. Lol. So funny! Felt it was worth my effort afterall. Hee.. You see, he was sleeping throughout the cake deco part, so he has no idea what we were up to in the kitchen. By the time he was awake, the cake was done for good. First thing i did when he woke up was to show him the cake. I knew he would love to see it and i was right :P

His reaction? Giggling non-stop! Lol. He was just so so happy to see the Happy-face-cake. See, giggle, see, giggle.. with a hint of shyness. *faint* So cute!

Er er, please bear with me.. thick skin mom here *bleah*

Anyway, below is my very first sponge cake baked in October 2004 *hide again*



It's strawberry shortcake :)

2 comments:

celest said...

i think it's a perfect cake! so colourful and kiddy! homemade goodies are always the best, imagine all that love and effort invested, plus the special customised touch, nothing money could ever buy. your sz must be thrilled :) i could never bake cakes, only know how to eat them.. heh. anyway, today's the 12th, happy birthday to your boy!

ps: the 2004 strawberry shortcake looks great too! no more excuses NOT to bake for us next time ;)

^cherie said...

Lol.. thank you for your kinds words Celest. Very nice of you ;)

Unfortunately, the cake was a tad too sweet even though the amount of sugar i put in was only half the portion of the original recipe. Too long never make fresh cream, forgotten all about it. Should have jotted some notes on it last time. Ugh.