Thursday, January 19, 2006

Gums and flossing


I almost had this


http://www.gumrecession.com/periodontitis.html

Gum Recession: Bacterial Infection (Periodontitis)

"Gum recession can result when a patient has gum disease (periodontitis). The causes, treatments and outcomes are different from what is involved when gum recession occurs as a result of the patient having "thin, fragile gum tissues". Periodontitis is a more aggressive disease and can destroy not only the gum tissues, but also the underlying bone which supports the teeth. The result of untreated periodontitis is the loss of some or all of your teeth.

Gum disease (periodontitis) is a problem where many people simply are not aware that it is present. That is why it is frequently described as a "sneaky" disease. While we can explain some of the signs which tell you if you have gum disease, you can still have gum disease even if you aren't aware of any of its signs. However, it you are seeing gum recession that is different from Gum Recession: Thin, Fragile Tissues, then you must have your gums examined by a periodontist for the presence of periodontitis."

The Signs
a. Gum Recession and Spaces Between the Teeth that Weren't there Before
b. Bleeding Gums
c. Bad Breath
d. Reddened Gums
e. Loose Teeth


Scary isn't it?

I wasn't aware of it at all. Went to dentist yesterday for my monthly check up and i was told that i had signs to it. No wonder i always bleed whenever i brush my teeth. I was quite surprised when i was told about it coz i always thought i have the healthiest teeth around! Never had a bad tooth before nor any filling or whatsoever. I was pretty shocked. But then, teeth and gum are 2 different stories aye? :P

My gum got into such state because i didn't floss my teeth and didn't really brush properly. I'm wearing braces currently. So the space after the bracket on my lower half teeth always got neglected. Thus, bacteria starts to attack the area and left me in my current state.

If this goes on unnoticed for another few weeks, i would have gotten the above and the worst is, the condition is irreversible!

Now what i have to do daily is to floss diligently, going deep down to the root of all the teeth hard and strong *ouch*, not just stop in the middle of 2 teeth. Must go all the way in, following the shape of the teeth. I never knew we could floss till like that.. It's really 'eerie', painful, bloody and yucky but i have to and i dread it to bits!

So ladies, if you have the above symptoms, do visit your dentist now! For more information, do refer to the link provided below the photo

Warning: the website is not for faint-hearted. Lol. I'm serious!



No comments: