Thursday, May 10, 2007

Breadventure


I've been inspired by Angie to bake bread lately, after seeing her yummilicious buns [no pun intended!hee].

However, my first loaf of Hokkaido Milk Loaf was a failure *sobs*. Reason being is that i didn't knead enough. And also, i have no idea why the loaf split.. others didn't *boo hoo*


My hokkaido milk loaf


Can u see how heavy they are? Not soft and fluffy like what others have been raving.. Nevertheless, they still taste good despite not being soft and fluffy. But i want soft and fluffy bread!

The next day, i was determined to get my texture right but not with Hokkaido Milk Loaf though. This time, i tried sweet bun recipe instead because Hokkaido loaf is pretty expensive for experimenting due to the whipping cream (i use President's) used. I made sure i knead till the dough was non stick and elastic.

During the first proofing, i saw this!




Imagine my excitement!

I was absolutely delighted and pleased because the original dough size was barely 1/3 of the size in the above picture! I was squealing, laughing and even did a little Macarena dance! My first time seeing such huge dough during proofing.. so, do pardon me!

The sweet buns rose and baked beautifully.. I was grinning from ear to ear :P



Beautiful aren't they?

BUT!

My mistake no. 1 : i didn't line my pan. Didn't know that i should. So when i tried taking the buns out, they tore into half. The buns above was a fixed temporarily just for the photoshoot.

I thought i was gonna melt in delight when i took my first bite but sadly, i didn't :(

The buns tasted funny. Abit too yeasty tasting. And not as soft and fluffy as i'd anticipated.. Sigh. What did i do wrong, i wonder...

Then, i re-read the recipe.

Lo and behold!

I added 2tbsp of the dry active yeast instead of 2tsp!!!

It wrote tsps. Not tsp. No wonder i thought it was tbsp..


I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh. Grin. And i refused to tell the husband my mistake, not before he eats it for breakfast the next day *evil grin* because if i did, he wouldn't have eaten them! :P

But right after hb did and commented that the buns still tasted like a failed buns, i divulged the truth which was known only to me and my helper. What did i get after that? A thunderous laughter that was meant for me, me the klutz! *kabish*kapow*

Anyway, guess what i'm doing now?

I'm now in the midst of baking another bunch of sweet buns! Hohohoho... Boy, do i know how to torture or what? *hiak*hiak*

Dear guinea pig, you better pray for my success this time round! Sending me an email full of baking bread tips wont help. Praying might help, because i didn't read the tips. Hahaha..

Angie dear, if you are reading this, do send your bread angel to me ok? For a temporary loan. I think mine is sleeping away, not watching after me :(

Note to imp : yay!! I can't wait till July. Smelly no more! *wink*

8 comments:

bossacafez said...

looks good sherie!! i was also very excited when i see my bread proving. then again, its been a long time :p you made them by hand? heard the carrefour's housebrand breadmaker is quite popular nowadays...maybe we shd get one!

Anonymous said...

hei, i dun want to be your guinea pig.. u better try all the bake first before i come to your place...may be... may be end of this month cos kids got school holidays... ha ha happy ????

imp said...

heeeee. i'm glad i'm not the guinea pig for the first batch.

but your..... ahemm... buns look beautifully brown. and in a great shape!!!

^cherie said...

Evan : Hehe.. i also get very excited when i see them browning in the oven :P

Nope, didn't knead by hand. If i did, i'm sure i would have lost 2kg! Lol. Used Kenwood Mixer dough hook. Yeah yeah, i read abt BlueSky too! Cheap and good. I'm still considering but but i have already got 1 at home which was bought 6 years back!

Cathy : Eh leh.. u always say but no action one! I refused to believe you already. Aeroplane queen! Hahaha.. Must be mummy's story right? Got too tempted by her, didnt you? Hehe

imp : Lol.. *ahem* i so wish that man..

OT: imp, u look absolutely sexy in that picture. Gosh.. *drool* Lol.

Unknown said...

Sherie, it's fun to read about your bread attempts. We all make 'boo-boos' in the kitchen don't we? :p Looking forward to more buns to come *wink*

^cherie said...

Angie!! *sobs* Alas, the buns didn't turn out as good as i thought it would :(

But there was improvement though. Definitely edible and better than the last 2 batch.

I need classes from you, shifu! ;)

U've been busy huh? Miss you posts tons!! Do take care yeah!

Unknown said...

Sherie,

Thanks for your well wishes *hugs*. Yup, I've been caught up with quite a bit of work, so not baking as often :(. But I still blog-hop to read food blogs :p

^cherie said...

Ahhh.. my pleasure :)

Hope to see more post from you soon Angie!