Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Believe it or not



You must be wondering why 'believe it or not' has anything to do with 2 packets of curry dishes above right?

You will not believe what i did!

I got them free.

From strangers.

Tempeh with huge prawns

There was this Malay wedding kenduri near the void deck below my house last weekend. It was raining on Saturday afternoon. So beep beep and i took the long way back from the car park to go home.

As i was walking along the corridor, i saw 2 malay aunties scooping and doing whatnots to at least 4 huge pots of yummilicious dishes. I tried so hard not to stare but i simply couldn't! Bet the aunties there saw me salivating so badly until they smiled at me :P


Sambal sotong

Me the kpo couldn't help but to ask a few questions in Malay and also introduced myself as well. We hit off pretty good. One of them asked me to stay for lunch and all but i declined politely. Too shy la! Heh.

Side track abit, you know, i've always liked the Malay community. Coming from Malaysia, i kinda miss them actually.. I don't even know any here :(

From what i observe, they are really nice and friendly, especially those aunties... Bet i could learn tons of malay dishes from them! :pppP

And and, i would love love love love to visit them for Hari Raya!

Anyway, after i've gone home, i realised that i was still salivating over the food i saw earlier plus i really wanted to know them better so i can do house visiting in the future!

So, what did i do?

The very not shy me went down again with my troop, armed with a bag of fresh apples which i had just bought earlier and a box of homemade steamed tapioca kueh.

Before i could gave them my apples and kueh, they passed these 2 packets of very very delicious curry dishes first. Like any very nice people would do, the auntie actually tried to stuff the tempeh dish with lotsa big prawns for this stranger here. Unbelievable isn't it? I was a stranger and she did just that and it wasn't as though there were many huge prawns left in the pot y'know..

I was deeply touched.

Unfortunately, we didn't exchange phone number and all as the sister who lives in my block wasn't there with them. Plus, we were attracting quite a number of stares from the guests, hence the very quick exit and goodbye from us. So wasted.. :(

p.s: the dishes were soooooo spicy and sedap. I'm craving for more now!

5 comments:

imp said...

oh my! wow! the best malay food is found in the homes!

u go girl! go prowl and check out where they might be living in your block!

Anonymous said...

hehe....you made me salivate again. I can never get enough of good nasi padang! Do you happen to know of any good nasi padang makan places?

^cherie said...

imp : Yeah!! Really u know.. the dishes were so yummy! Better than Garuda anytime man!! I already know where they stay already. On the 4th floor but dunno which unit lah.. still dunno how to approach them to make friends. HAha..

agnes : Grin. Me too! I'm always, always in search of good nasi padang. The ones i know are pretty far from you leh.. eg: Bukit Timah Plaza, a shop that sells only nasi lemak and nasi padang. The food there is really to-die-for esp the nasi lemak's nasi! :P~~~~

Anonymous said...

Oooh...Bukit Timah plaza which floor? Never mind, me and hb are foodies who will go around the island for good food kekeke...

^cherie said...

Hey, same same!! That's why we go all the way to Hougang just for brunch every Sunday! :P

It's at B1. But don't go so early for lunch. 2pm will be the best time. They very slow in preparation! *faint*