Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Kitchen disaster, again


I'm so gonna cry..


'It' happened again today! Ugh...

I was gonna bake bestie her surprise birthday cake today. But everything went so so wrong.. everything, totally.

1. sponge cake

It didn't rise. It wasn't normal. Because i listened to the maid and let her mixed the alot-not-melted butter part with the little-melted ones = butter became thick. It made my batter curdled and resulted a heavy, thin sponge cake :(

I re-baked this.

2. the egg yolk mixture

After whisking the egg yolk mixture like a madman into a creamy and thick mixture + gelatin paste, i poured the prepared syrup into it!! The syrup was meant for brushing the sponge cake :(

4 eggs wasted, not to mentioned, an extra of 4 egg whites on top of the already-there 4 whites for me to brainstorm how to use them all.

I re-do the egg yolk mixture, along with the gelatin paste and the syrup with rum.

3. egg whites

When i was re-doing the gelatin paste, the hot water accidentally got into my 5 egg whites bowl. Egg whites cannot be contaminated especially if you wanna whisk it to its peak form and i actually wanted to attempt macarons with it! :(((

4. 7" cake ring

The recipe did state that it was for a 7" cake ring but i stubbornly think that 8" cake ring (coz i only have 8" round cake ring) will do as well. After i've made my cream cheese mixture, i realised that it is not enough afterall for an 8" cake ring. Sigh.

I ended up using the normal 7" cake tin lined with Glad Wrap, praying and hoping i can just pull the cake out beautifully without anymore problems. *crossing my fingers now*

What's worst is that the cake tin isn't tall enough for my final layer of cream cheese! *sobs*

5. syrup

After i covered the sponge cake with the cream cheese mixture, i realised i forgot to brush the syrup onto the sponge cake before slapping the cream cheese on!

6. syrup again

After everything was done, just when i thought nothing can ever go wrong again, i accidentally tipped the syrup container over which meant for the fruits tomorrow!


So much for a surprise. I'm so frustrated and upset that i'm pretty sure if i were to scream out loud, even the friends in KL could hear me!

To add on to my misery, i realised i did have a 7" cake ring afterall (
but in square shape) when everything was done and i was taking my shower.

Today isn't my day, really :(

And i think i cannot bake at night, especially when it's almost my sleeping time. Poor bestie... sigh.

All i can do now is pray that the cake can be pulled up tomorrow and the Glad Wrap will not break in the midst of it!

I really h.a.t.e kitchen disasters. Period.

p.s : but then, who doesn't right? :P

pps : really looking forward to some pampering tomorrow - facial, yay! But not the extraction part though - ouch!

ppps: thank god my unlucky day has got nothing to do with the car!!! *phew* I read (my star sign) that this month, accidents will happen when i'm rushing off to somewhere. But the thing is, i'm always rushing from one point to another!

Oh no!!!

No comments: