Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mexican chocolate delight


Initially, i wanted to bake a nice looking cake for my gynae and the nurses because the gynae was nice enough to prescribe me some medication [which other docs wouldn't wanna give me] without having me consult her first, which means.. i saved more than $50+! *yippee*

Then i realized i've got no eggs. And the egg auntie can only deliver it in the evening. My bad~

Again, i flipped through some recipes and discovered one nice looking dessert which doesn't need eggs so, here it is..

Mexican chocolate delight :)



"Mexican chocolate delight, commonly used in hot drinks, consists of dark chocolate flavoured with cinnamon. Occasionally, they are flavoured with other spices and include nuts~" Crave.

It was supposed to be nice looking but sadly, i didn't manage to do it that nicely due to 2 reasons.

i - my choc mousse was stiff though i beat it to medium peaks form.
How? After folding the medium peak's mousse a few times to combine other ingredients, it became stiff! Hence, i couldn't just pour the mousse in and let it level nicely itself. I had to pipe it out and level it with the back of the spoon :(

Note : will beat the cream till soft peaks next time round.. Or less than that..

ii - the prepared mousse and chocolate not enough although the recipe says 'makes 6'. I actually did 1.5 portion which means i should get 9 cups instead but i didn't even get 6 cups. So, the chocolate ganache was really not enough to have me cover the first layer of mousse nicely and not enough choc mousse for the final layer too :(

Note : ha! I just, JUST saw that the cups used in the recipe are smaller than my fist! No wonder... *smack forehead* Aiyoh.. me the champion! Heh.


So not nice looking hor.. :S

BUT, they taste awesome!

So that's abit consoling. Grin.

I'm not a big fan of mousse but the combination for this small cup is pretty impressive. Chocolate mousse infused with cinnamon, chocolate ganache with 4-5 tsp of Grand Marnier [added the 3 extra tsp myself], then topped with fresh cream infused with cinnamon again + some cocoa powder on top.. one word, power!

Especially the chocolate ganache. Hee hee hee... and oh, the slight hint of cinnamon rocks my boat too!

Nice.

I am very certain that my throat was warmed throughout the night after i had it and i was slightly, slightly high.

I find that eating all 4 layers together is the best. Eating layer by layer isn't exactly that exciting. So the spoon must scoop deep deep for that power ummmppphhh! ;)



Because of the not-enough-mousse-and-ganache, some of the cups are filled to half only.

And the thick skin me included them as well in the box of 6 that i gave. Lol. I was too lazy to make another more presentable dessert ah.. Heh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your photo composition, I'm sure it will look even better if there is enough light. The dessert look really yummy too! Wish I have a cup of that :P

^cherie said...

Thanks!

Hahaha.. guess now u can tell the difference in the photos i take already yeah? Between the ones i take IN the house and the ones IN the balcony..

So obvious hor.. :P